XFree86 over a network

George Toft plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 11 Nov 2001 10:17:06 -0700

Hi All,

There is a significant difference between Exceed and VNC, and each
has their strengths and weaknesses.

Exceed (or any other X-Server) displays just the appropriate client
window that changes, and can run graphics interactively over a
100 mbps network quite nicely.  To wit, I have run the KDE OpenGL
Toys on a server, and displayed it over a busy network and they
ran very smoothly.

X was designed like this - to be split between a client and a
server.  That's why a Windows X Server will work as well as a
Unix X Server (theoretically) to display your client windows.

VNC was designed to reproduce a screen over a network.  You
can actually end your VNC session, go somewhere else, and pick
it back up later.  Since VNC is displaying the whole screen (there
are some optimizations to make this faster), it is slower to use
than an X Server.  For example, let's say you are at work and want
to go home.  You end you VNC session, go home, reconnect, and
everything is just as you left it.  With Exceed, you would have
to close your X session, and when you reconnect, reopen all of your
client programs again.

Another benefit of an X Server is that you can run graphics
programs from a box that has no graphics card installed and it
need not be running X.  VNC merely duplicates the graphics
screen.

The benefits of VNC are that it is free (beer) and it works
equally well with Windows and Linux.  It comes with a java
client, so you can actually use a browser to control the server.

George