eth0 won't come up

Alan Dayley plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 11 Nov 2001 07:43:20 -0700

I newly installed RH 7.2 on computer.  Computer dual boots Win98 and
RH.  Win98 brings up the ethernet connection without problem and connects
via DHCP from my firewall.  RH fails to open eth0 during the boot
process.  During the install, I specified the connection to be DHCP.

I have had RH on this computer before and it worked fine using eth0 as the
connection device when it connected directly to the ADSL modem.  Now that
it is supposed to be using DHCP from my firewall, eth0 will not come up.  I
see one flash of the connect LED on the hub and then, after a minute, it
fails.  It should be loading the tulip.o driver, as I can see specified in
some of the scripts.

I have looked around at the various network scripts and such but I am a
definite newbie when it comes to debugging scripts.  I am not sure where to
look for answers.  Anyone out there with ideas on a solution?

Alan