X over a network

Sonja Michelle L. Thomas plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 11 Nov 2001 02:37:59 -0600

There is no server side to set up with exceed. As long as you can run
X locally on the *nix box, Exceed will access it. Everyone of my
Exceed installs run outta the box. no weird configs.  The only thing
I do is setup the screen definition to single so my x-session will
run in a single window (it will display the individual x apps as
multiple windows on the winblows box if ya like. I usually SSH into
my nix box using Putty, you can then issue an

export DISPLAY=<your ip here>:0.0

then run kde, gnome, icewm, whatever.

you can run kde by issuing  startkde &
gnome via    gnome-session &
icewm via  icewm &

dont kknow the other WM's off the top of my head. dont forget the &
it allows you to grab the command prompt back in you ssh session.
then yu can either use it for shell commands or close it completely.
I usual write a small script for each of the WM's that incluse the
export and the WM's command. That way I can call up whatever WM with
a single command.

you can head to my site http://sonja.freeshell.org/screenshot.jpg and
see what I do.  Maybe I'll do a how-to, hehehe :o)

Sonja Michelle L. Thomas
sonja@sdf.lonestar.org