LoL(Linux on Laptop)

Jonathan Claxton plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 10 Nov 2001 23:47:50 -0700 (MST)

On Sat, 10 Nov 2001, bob smith wrote:

> I've been thinking about purchasing a laptop. I was
> curious about the experiences that some of you have
> had using Linux on a laptop? Also anybody know if I
> can pick up a 1GHz PIII3M notebook for under $2000?
> Any recommendations?

I have a Sony PCG-F650. It has PIII-650, 192 megs mem, 12 gb disk and ATI
Rage Mobility vid chip. It's running RH 7.2 now.

I had problems running X on it until I got a pre X 4.10 version and the
sound chip didn't want to work until I got a kernel that can run it. This
under RH 7.1.

Under RH 7.2, it detects all including the IBM 10/100-modem PC card except
for the modem chip and it runs just fine.

The important thing to know is make sure that whatever laptop you get will
work under Linux.