Why Linux will win and Micro$oft will lose

Charles A. Reynolds plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 10 Nov 2001 21:22:44 -0800

It has been said over and over that without doubt Microsoft is an inferior
product in the server market.  Bill Gates knows it.  However, he also knows
how to market his product.  Windows-XP fka Windows 2000 aka Windows Me fka
Windows 98 fka Windows 95 fka Windows fka MS-DOS had a huge jump start on
the desktop.  The deal that was cut with IBM, who is the real giant in the
computer industry (about 10X of MS revenue), was sheer genius.  Everybody
knows that Linux (name your flavor) fka UNIX is a superior operating system
in the mission critical market.  Early on the complexities of the superior
operating system made it impossible to install and manage on the desktop,
this may change.  Is is better that each of the operating systems
concentrates on its strong characteristics.  I for one prefer the simplicity
of the Microsoft approach to the desktop but would never put my mission
crittical applications, data or security on anything less than UNIX/Linux.

Try to concentrate on what really matters.  A hundred years from now nobody
will remember Linux or Microsoft except what they read in the history books.
Each tool in any journeyman's tools box has a specific use.  It dosen't
matter if you use Craftsman or SnapOn.  You must use the right tool for the
job.

I could go on about other superior products/tools that are shunned because
they are not of the accepted genre.  These tools are still used and always
will be.

Charles Reynolds