crypto talk @ASULUG

der.hans plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 10 Nov 2001 12:35:46 -0700 (MST)

moin, moin,

ASULUG's Nov meeting is this coming Wed. Food and crypto.

See the web page, http://ASULUG.asu.edu/, for more info.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  http://home.pages.de/~lufthans/   http://www.DevelopOnline.com/
#  Help Jerry Lewis stamp out M$...oops that's MDA - der.hans

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 15:22:01 -0700
From: Monika <monika.s@asu.edu>
To: ASULUG@asu.edu
Subject: ASULUG meeting reminder

Hello everybody,

Next meeting is coming up in A WEEK from today! Partha Dasgupta will give a
talk on cryptography. He always gives great lectures, so be sure to come. He
also offers a cryptography class next semester. If you like his talk, you
might want to take his class as well.

Note that the place of the meeting has been changed and we will also have some
snacks this time.

see the abstract below for details,
Monika

when: Wednesday, November 14 at 6pm

where: MU 226B (Memorial Union room Ventana B)

                                Abstract:

Cryptography and Privacy (or "I have nothing to hide")
      Would you tell me what your salary is? How about you address? Social
security number? Fetishes? Most likely not. Thus you must have something to
hide, even though you did not do anything wrong.
      Cryptography is an intriguing double-edged sword. It allows people to
hide things. Yet it allows people to identify themselves without a doubt. It
allows documents to be make unalterable and prove the identity of the
author. Yet is allows the identity to remain controllably secret.
      This talk presents a quick overview of cryptographic techniques for
authentication, privacy and cooperation amongst untrusting adversaries. We
discuss the importance and pitfalls of the need for privacy. We also present
some scary vulnerabilities of the much-hyped yet dangerous form of identity
tracking called "biometrics".