A special reqest to SAGE members (fwd)

Matt Alexander plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 8 Nov 2001 19:36:03 -0800 (PST)

I thought some of you might be interested in joining Sage/Usenix if you're
not already a member, and also possibly attending the LISA 2001 conference
in San Diego.  Check out the Usenix website for more info:
http://www.usenix.org

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 18:12:20 -0800 (PST)
From: sage-enotify@usenix.org
Subject: A special request to SAGE members

Dear SAGE Member,

Now is a difficult time for SAGE.  An already hard economic downturn
has been magnified by the events since September 11.  Many companies
have reduced or eliminated travel and training budgets.  Uncertainty
has led some to postpone or even cancel their travel plans completely.

These events have hurt SAGE's financial situation--and we don't know
yet by how much.  SAGE receives over 60% of its annual funding from
LISA, the USENIX Annual System Administration Conference co-sponsored
by SAGE.  For the first time in SAGE's history, we face the prospect
of a LISA that will only break even--or even lose money.

We have always depended on the support of our membership, and now this
is true more than ever.  We've had many inquiries from members who
want to help SAGE in its time of need, so I'd like to let you know how
you can help:

-- Attend LISA 2001.  This is the single best way you can help us
   right now.  If you work for a company that still pays for employee
   travel then it is especially imperative that you come.  If not, I
   urge you to consider the benefit that LISA can have in your career,
   especially if you are job-hunting or may be doing so soon.  The
   contacts and training available at LISA are second to none in our
   profession.  I can personally vouch for the effectiveness of
   LISA--I have secured every single job I have had since I first
   attended LISA from contacts I have made there.

   Even if you're not looking for work, you know how much LISA can
   help you.  From the technical assistance and contacts in the
   Guru-is-In and the "hallway track," to the outstanding technical
   sessions that will give you insight on how to do your job more
   effectively, to the tutorials taught by the leaders in the field,
   LISA is unparalleled in its benefit to you as a system
   administrator.

   Can you negotiate with your employer so that you can split the
   costs?  Some employers will pay travel and registration costs if
   you take vacation time; others will let you use work time to attend
   a conference on your own. The current situation means that travel
   costs are the lowest in years.  Can you afford to miss LISA this
   year?

   http://www.usenix.org/events/lisa2001

-- Renew your SAGE membership now.

-- Encourage your friends to join SAGE.  SAGE is a "well-kept secret"
   among those in the know.  The Short Topics Series, the Salary
   Survey, the articles in ;login: on subjects of interest and
   importance to you--you know why SAGE is important to you.  Why not
   spread the word and ensure that we can keep bringing you these
   services?

With your help, I know SAGE will emerge from this difficult period
stronger for it.  Thank you so much for your time and support.

Sincerely,

Trey Harris
Secretary, Executive Committee
SAGE--The System Administrators Guild