Mounting CDROM

KevinO plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 07 Nov 2001 23:16:17 -0700

Don't move anything...(Leave it as the master on the secondary IDE port)

You DO have a directory in /mnt called cdrom, don't you ? If not, make
one. (as root)

mkdir /mnt/cdrom

Make sure you have a DATA CD in your CDROM drive.

As root type :

mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

You can unmount your cdrom by referencing only the device :

umount /dev/cdrom

or the mount point :

umount /mnt/cdrom

The line in your fstab should be :

/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom iso9660 defaults,noauto 0 0

This should be the ONLY line that starts with '/dev/cdrom'

Try :

eject

or:

eject /dev/cdrom

That should pop the disk out for you. 'eject -t' may even pull the draw
back closed again.

--
Kevin O'Connor

 "People will be free to devote themselves to activities that are fun,
such as
 programming, after spending the necessary ten hours a week on required
tasks
 such as legislation, family counseling, robot repair and asteroid
prospecting.
 There will be no need to be able to make a living from programming."
 The GNU Manifesto - Copyright (C) 1985, 1993 Free Software Foundation,
Inc.