Mounting CDROM

Tom Achtenberg plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 7 Nov 2001 22:37:25 -0700

I issued the ln command below and the mount command.  Still could not mount
the CD.  I rebooted and do not get the fstab fail I was getting earlier.
When I try to mount the CD I get he following error: "Wrong FS type, Bad
Option, Bad Superblock on /dev/cdrom or too many mounted file systems."  The
cdrom line in /etc/fstab is: "/dev/cdrom  mnt/cdrom  iso9660
noauto,owner,ro 0 0"

Would it be better if I made the CD a slave on the secondary?  Should I move
my second hard drive to the secondary and put the CD on the primary?

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-discuss-admin@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
[mailto:plug-discuss-admin@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us]On Behalf Of Thomas
Mondoshawan Tate
Sent: Wednesday, November 07, 2001 8:54 PM
To: plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Subject: Re: Mounting CDROM

On Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 08:01:13PM -0800, Matt Alexander wrote:
> "hdc" means that you've got an IDE device (your cdrom) plugged into the
> secondary IDE controller and set as the Master.  /dev/cdrom is just a
> symlink to /dev/hdc (in your case).  So check that /dev/cdrom exists, and
> if it doesn't, create it like this:
>
> ln -s /dev/hdc /dev/cdrom
>
> Then mount it like this:
>
> mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
>
> If that works, then you can add this to your /etc/fstab to be able to
> mount your cdrom like this in the future:
>
> mount /mnt/cdrom

Additionally, your "Unknown filesystem" errors could be due to a missing
default filesystem option in the fstab. Check to make sure that the third
field for your cdrom entry reads as "iso9660" -- otherwise you will have to
specify the filesystem type every time you try to mount. (mount /mnt/cdrom
-t iso9660).

--
Thomas "Mondoshawan" Tate
phoenix@psy.ed.asu.edu