Is SuSE free?

Armand plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 07 Nov 2001 12:38:17 -0700

Mark Berkwitt wrote:

> I just went to Linuxiso.org to download SuSE and what I see is
>
> "7.1 Live Evaluation iso (runs from cd only)~640megs"
>
> Is this a strictly retail distro?

No, this is a demo that runs the cd as your hard drive.

If you must have the iso's then you can dl them at:

ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/japanese-7.1/

and then choose English at the localization screen when installing

Otherwise I've found that the ftp install works rather well if you
have a broadband connection.

Yast the SuSE installer and administration tool is not free or gpl.
But the source is available for the distro.

HTH,
Armand

P.S. I noticed that SuSE 7.3 Personal is available at Fry's