DHCP

plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
6 Nov 2001 20:55:43 -0800

Carl,
I am rather non-plussed that the dhcp program would be giving you
such a hasssle.
I got mine to work right from the first minute.

I simply added the following line in rc.sysinit (long after the other
partitions were mounted):

# dhcp networking setup
	/sbin/dhcpcd -h ${HOSTNAME}

that was it. I also issued a command on the CLI to insure my
hostname was correct before I tried this:
hostname <my hostname here without the domain).

I have tried this on 4 different boxes using MDK or redhat or
even Suse. (this last required I hunt down the system init script).

so far, it works great on a Pentium 225 Mhz box with 2 nics (I use it as
an IP?NAT firewall/router box).

try this on the command line.
hostname <your assigned DNS name>
dhcpcd -h ${HOSTNAME}