Advice needed on which distribution, method of download.

KevinO plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 04 Nov 2001 20:20:19 -0700

There is a PLUG meeting coming up. Give us fair warning and let us know
a couple of days ahead of time, and somebody will bring you the rest of
the Mandrake 8.1 set. (Assuming you go to the meeting.)

All you have to do is ask. Some may wish to be reimbursed for the cost
of blank media...

You could install using Mandrake's ftp servers also, but I haven't tried
this since we don't have the bandwidth herre at the house. I have done
ftp based installs here using another of my machines as the server. It
keeps me from having to install a CDROM drive in each box.

We had to combine the CDs into one Mandrake directory. It seems that
when the installer gets to where it wants items from disk two, it
doesn't prompt you to change the disk on your ftp server.... This
happened with 8.0.

KevinO

Mark Berkwitt wrote:

> I recently installed Mandrake 8.1 from from an .ISO file from disk one.
> Something seemed to go just a bit wrong during the install when some
> packages were listed as uninstalled.
> Inspite of the warning, it installed for my matrox g450 and works better
> than any linux I've used to date.
> However, I'm installing linux for 2 reasons. First, I just want to expand my
> experience with Linux, and second, I want to create an environment for
> learning Java, Python, C, Tcl, shells, etc. I need to get sharp as a
> programmer.
> Which dist would you recommend?
>
> As far as method, I have broadband so downloading is fine.
> I have some cds from LinuxMall. I believe I can install with these and then
> use upgrade features or simply download files and install from them.  I
> don't know which to do as some methods have hidden problems to the
> unexperienced.
>
> These are the CDs I have:
> Linux-Mandrake 7.0
> Official Debian GNU/Linux 2.1 Disks 1 & 2
> Red Hat Linux 6.2
> Caldera OpenLinux 2.4
> SuSE Linux 6.4
> and FreeBSD 4.0 to finish the collection.
>
> I tried to install the Debian just for the challenge.  I don't remember what
> went wront but it didn't install.  I tried Mandrake 7.0 but one of those two
> just left a black screen.
>
> First I need to decide upon a distribution, then a method of installation.
>
> Suggestions welcome.

Kevin O'Connor

 "People will be free to devote themselves to activities that are fun,
such as
 programming, after spending the necessary ten hours a week on required
tasks
 such as legislation, family counseling, robot repair and asteroid
prospecting.
 There will be no need to be able to make a living from programming."
 The GNU Manifesto - Copyright (C) 1985, 1993 Free Software Foundation,
Inc.