OpenGL & RedHat 7.1

Armand plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 03 Nov 2001 05:41:15 -0700

Mark Myers wrote:

> Well, it's not a permission problem because it does the same thing when
> I try it as root.
> And it appears to be running. Here is the output of glxinfo:
> http://members.home.net/nx54/glx.txt
> Whenever I even highlight one of the screensavers that are suffixed
> (GL), my session freezes. The same thing happens if I try a game that
> uses OpenGL at all.
> I know it works on my card because it worked fine under Win. I have
> installed XFree86 4 with 3D acceleration.
> I don't know what gives.
> Mark

Hi Mark,

I recently upgraded my monitor and when I found that my old video card
wasn't powerful enough to support it in the resolution that I wanted...
well I went to the only local computer store that stocks pci video cards
in Yavapai County, Staples, and bought an ATI eXpert 128 PCI 16MB.

I could only find one instance on google.com where someone got this
working
with XFree86-3.x and the xsvga driver on SuSE 6.4.  I was not able to
get this
to work for me on SuSE 7.2, YMMV

So I'm currently running the demo Gold version (which supports 3d)
of xig.com's commercial X, which times out every 25 minutes and you
have to restart X.

Only draw back is the software costs more than the card!
But it works really well and set up is a breeze.

The only gotcha I experienced was that the xvsc.rpm couldn't find
autoconf.h so I had to make a soft link

HTH,
Armand