>NET, J2EE, and freedom

Bob Cober plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 1 Nov 2001 20:48:39 -0700

I agree.  Sun definitely needs to free Java.  But I still prefer unfreed
J2EE to .NET hands down.  And there are Open-Source J2EE implementations,
like Tomcat and JBoss.  J2EE is just an Open Spec.

I just can't believe some of the steps MS is taking lately - especially
things like those .NET My Services subscription stuff.  Unbelievable.  We
are staying with J2EE at my work.

Anyway, here is a quote that someone took from the web and posted at my
work:

With Closed-Source, the more you know the harder it gets.
With Open-Source, the more you know the easier it is.

This really rings true....I mean you can only learn so much about Windows.
At some point, you are simply left for with a black box.  I was reading a
book called ASP Internals, and the author basically attempts to reverse
engineer the ASP.dll.  It is so sad to see someone who clearly wants to
learn and teach information, but alas he cannot know the entire story
because he has no source.  Because of this the book is only about 100 pages.

The opposite case occured at work.  One of the developers was working with
JBoss.  He could not configure the data pooling features correctly.  He
downloaded the source, viewed the pooling code, and knew without any doubt
just what was needed.

Bob