LinuxPPC again

KevinO plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 31 Oct 2001 20:16:19 -0700

"Sonja Michelle L. Thomas" wrote:

> I just noticexd that Mandrake has a PPC distro now. Anyone familiar
> with it? Do ya think it'll run on the older PPC box I'm thinking of
> getting?

Not if it is a nubus powermac. (6100, 7100, etc)

  Also if I do get a PCI based box, can I pop a normal
> ethernet card into it?

Probably... I have normal ( PC compatible, PCI bus ) cards in an 8600,
one is an adaptec 2940 and the other is
an RTL8139 based 10/100 nic. Yes that's right, a scsi card that CAN NOT
be made to work at all in a mac using
MacOS works fine using Linux. (Yellow Dog in this case) The kernel
configures it automagically during boot time.

--
Kevin O'Connor

 "People will be free to devote themselves to activities that are fun,
such as
 programming, after spending the necessary ten hours a week on required
tasks
 such as legislation, family counseling, robot repair and asteroid
prospecting.
 There will be no need to be able to make a living from programming."
 The GNU Manifesto - Copyright (C) 1985, 1993 Free Software Foundation,
Inc.