Speeding up File Transfers

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 31 May 2001 14:51:44 -0700

This may be of interest but I am quite happy with Sprint Broadband service
myself and I have a bunch of customers that I have set up and they are happy
with it too...
<http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2767061,00.html>

and a speed test site...
<http://www.dslreports.com/stest/0,>

I think there are some misconceptions about Sprint Broadband.

If you can download their test files are near rated speeds - this tests the
speed of your connection to Sprint and if it's working. I found that I have
twice had to pull the power cable not only on the broadband modem but also
the antenna feed to the roof - it also has power requirements. This seem to
reset everything.

As for Windows/Linux/Macintosh - it's all meaningless because it's the
computer not the OS (yeah I suppose a poor OS or poor GUI performance can
make it seem like the problem is the OS.

I am in Scottsdale / zone II and performance has been quite good for a long
time now. I also noticed that their upstream speeds have significantly
improved but yes, I am not likely to get more than 25 - 30 Kbps on the
upstream on the best of days. (pulling email off my web based mail server
while I was in California).

Things to check before calling tech support (paths listed are RedHat - YMMV)

1. Power cycle both router modem & box supplying feed to upstream co-ax on
roof top dish.

2. /etc/sysconfig/network settings - default gateway is right and if you use
  linux to masquerade internet connection to others, that

HOSTNAME="registered.with.dns.hostname_OR_cpe-your-ip-separated-by-dashes.az
.sprintbbd.net"
  GATEWAY="your.gateway.ip.number"
  GATEWAYDEV="eth1" or whatever device is connected to Sprint
  FORWARD_IPV4=yes

3. /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
  &
  etc
  are all set up properly and that means not only ip address but subnet mask
too.
  If they want you to use less than a full class "C" (255.255.255.0) make
sure
  that your subnet is correct.

4. Turn off unnecessary services - Interestingly enough - Redhat 7.1
defaults to not autostarting most of the services on installation whereas
earlier versions of RedHat started a whole bunch of services. Obviously,
they were listening to der.Hans.

Craig

- Craig White - PO Box 8634 - Scottsdale, Arizona - 85252
- e-mail address ................ - CraigWhite@AzApple.com
- world wide web address ........ - http://www.AzApple.com
- e-mail my pager address ....... - 6023779752@airtouch.net
- cellular phone ................ - (602) 377-9752
- voice/facsimile ............... - (480) 945-8445