Speeding up File Transfers

Derek Neighbors plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 31 May 2001 16:06:55 -0500 (CDT)

> get a few minutes of speed it's fast.  Mind you, I have NEVER seen the speeds
> Durek claimed, and I am skeptical, but it really depends where you live and
> how close you are to the antenna.

It took two hours on phone on two occassions and 2 serivce visits and a
new modem to get decent speeds mind you.  Out of box first install was not
even barely usable.  I was working from home telecommuting to San Jose at
the time so I HAD to have it faster so could invest the time to bug them
to get it 'right'. I still have days of outage and slow speeds of course,
but much better.

> Now for the good news.  I am part of a new system by qwest.  DSL is old, but
> VDSL is new and my neighborhood is ready for it.   I get it installed next
> monday.  It has some cool features.  VDSL brings Video (i.e. Cable TV to your
> house too.)  The best feature..  When your phone rings caller id pops up on
> your TV!!

Some one I know at Lindsay and Ray has this and is quite happy with it.

> For everyones edification - SBB has been to my house several times and I have
> a 1 meter dish sitting on my roof with a clear shot to South Moutain.

Yeah it really depends on the tech and as you stated if the wind is
blowing in your favor. :)  Overall, I would recommend DSL/VDSL over
anything else.  If thats not available Cox and as last resort Sprint.  Cox
just recently came available in my area, I havent switched yet just out of
laziness.  Plus am hoping the VDSL makes it to Gilbert/Ray soon. :)

Derek