SGML vs XML

Kimbro Staken plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 31 May 2001 13:24:51 -0700

Trent Shipley wrote:

> I have decided that my dissertation has outgrown WordPerfect and EndNote,
> but especially WordPerfect.  It looks like XML + XSL will work pretty well.
> However, for future compatibility it would be nice to markup the document
> with Human Relations Area File codes (HRAF codes).  The problem is that text
> referenced by HRAF codes might not nest.
>
> Note that a single code should never overlap itself.  It is as if there were
> N codes and the document was scanned for the applicability of each code,
> effectively resulting in N documents.  However, some of those N codes will
> not apply anywhere in the document.  In effect some subset m of the N
> documents consists of NULL documents.  Then all the interesting N-m
> documents are projected into a single document.
>
> The markup could looks something like this:
>
> <HRAF code="1">The Raboof blah blah blah blah yadda yadda. <HRAF code="2">
> Their women blah yadda blah blah.</HRAF code="1">  Meanwhile the children
> blah.<HRAF code="2">

If you want to use XSL your documents have to be well formed XML which
that definitely isn't. Can you do something like this?

<HRAF code="1">The Raboof blah blah blah blah yadda yadda. </HRAF><HRAF
code="2">
<HRAF code="1">Their women blah yadda blah blah.</HRAF>  Meanwhile the
children
blah.</HRAF>