Insurer Considers Microsoft NT High-Risk

George Toft plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 30 May 2001 06:54:40 -0700

"Cost" is very tricky.  My thesis was on the Total Cost of Ownership
for Workgroup Servers, and the O/S cost is irrelevant.  Labor costs
for NT are less than Unix/Linux, but downtime costs (also known as
opportunity costs) are much higher for NT, especially as workgroup
size increases.

For very small workgroups, NT is a good choice for TCO.  You start
losing money with NT after the workgroup exceeds about 10-12 people
(based on 1999 prices).

George