technical writers are masochists

Rusty Carruth plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 27 May 2001 05:12:00 -0700 (MST)

> What you have described is the following engineering philosophy:
>
> "Coding matters.  Design is secondary.  Accurate testing is nice but not
> nessisary.  Accurate documentation also is not nessisary."
>
> .... 3 choices: 1-Live with
> it (not fun).  2-Fight it (even less fun).  3-Go find a new job (the path I
> have taken)....

IMHO (YMMV :-) - there are further issues with each item above:

1 - this sounds like a company in need of a clue.  If I were there,
	regardless of WHICH position I was in (devel or doc), I'd have
	'my paper on the street' (and my batting average on these
	sort of things is around 1000)
2 - everyone has a decision process.  IF they are consistent with it,
	then all you have to do is find out what it is and use it
	'against' them.  (I have a really long story I can tell about
	that - the short version is that I got a company to connect
	to the internet many years ago by finding something they needed
	to do that had been impossible for them to do without the 'net
	(They'd spent .75 man year on it!) that I was able to do in
	one WEEK PARTTIME - *with the net*.  2 months later they were
	hooked up)  SO if staying is the thing to do (and from what
	I've seen the job market stinks right now) find out how
	they make decisions and 'force' them to change.
3 - too easy, but all to often the only thing that 'works'... (I've done
	a lot of option 3 also)