More Kernel 2.4 Q's

foodog plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 26 May 2001 16:16:54 -0700

Thanks, Craig.  That should be a big help :-)

I don't know if this answers Q#1, but maybe. I selected 'kernel
development' during install and got the following packages:

[root@zippy /root]# rpm -qva | grep kern
kernel-headers-2.4.2-2
kernel-2.4.2-2
kernel-source-2.4.2-2

I don't think that you'd need to install processor-specific RPMs since
menuconfig has a 'processor type and features' tab.  BTW, if you're
running X then 'make xconfig' is nicer than menuconfig, IMO - very
mouse-friendly anyway.

As to #8, I've always *assumed* that the settings that come up initially
when configuring a new kernel are the one's that were installed.  If
they're not, that'd explain some problems I've had.  Please let me know
if you find out.

Steve