DNS/mailserver questions

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 26 May 2001 10:11:17 -0700

---
Your questions indicate some confusion.

Your computer needs to be configured to be able to translate names into ip
addresses. That is what is in /etc/resolv.conf  Sendmail will need to be
able to use these client DNS services to be able to deliver the mail.

Traditionally, nslookup is the tool to use (will undoubtedly be supplanted
by htdig) and to use it, you can type

nslookup hostname

example - nslookup www.yahoo.com

if you want to query specific aspects such as MX records, you can simply
type nslookup which will leave you in a command mode of nslookup and the
following commands may help...

set type=mx (will give you only mx listings)
then try www.yahoo.com and it will report the mx exchangers for
www.yahoo.com

server hostname (will query the specified DNS server instead of the
server(s) listed in your /etc/resolv.conf

the ability to use a specific domain by default so a luser doesn't have to
specifically add it is handled on each individual computer and probably by
each application which makes it an unattractive option because the various
applications don't always have the ability to resolve 'unqualified'
addresses (those without the @yourdomain.com)

HTH

Craig