antivirus

David P. Schwartz plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 23 May 2001 19:58:31 -0700

yarddog wrote:

> On Wednesday 23 May 2001 01:17 am, David P. Schwartz wrote about Re:
> antivirus:
> > http://www.kasperskylabs.com
> >
> > yarddog wrote:
> > > Anybody recommend antivirus software?
> > >

> I looked at this one but I wasn't sure about installation. I am new to
> software install in Linux and I have had some trouble, not to mention
> the $50 for the software after the 30 days.
>
> But, as was pointed out, it looks like it scans mostly for MS virii.

AVP uses a pattern-based scanner that finds un-detected viruses in a variety of files.  The primary knowledge base IS composed of stuff
for MS platforms.  AVP/Linux will supposedly find things that affect Linux.

As far as the cost goes, if the time it takes you to recover from one virus infection isn't worth $50, you're one masochistic M-F :-))

My take on viruses is this: most of them are designed to take advantage of default settings in most MS environments, and since MS seems
so hell-bent on preventing OEMs from tweaking anything, they only have themselves to blame.

RULE#1: don't use Outlook or Outlook Express for your email.
RULE#2: if you DO use Outlook [Express] for email, set it up so it doesn't automatically open mail when you click on a header.
RULE#3: disable VBA scripting in Outlook [Express] and IE.
RULE#4: Never, EVER, click on an attachment that is from someone you don't know, or that comes with a simple message like "Hey, check
this out, it's cool!"; instead, delete the email (SHIFT-DEL, not just DEL).

These will keep most users pretty safe for email-transmitted viruses.  Unfortunately, it doesn't make sense to most users.  We can keep
hoping...

-David