antivirus

foodog plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 23 May 2001 01:14:57 -0700

Mostly serious.  Linux is (for various reasons) pretty much free of file
infectors that used to plague DOS and Windows .  In recent history most
Windows vermin in the wild are either Visual BASIC scripts or MS Office
Macros, neither of which work under Linux.  There are a couple (maybe a
few?) Linux file infectors.  If they're run by an ordinary user, not
root, they don't have much chance of spreading to other programs on a
reasonably configured system.

Linux has had several _worms_ running around lately (Ramen, Lion,
cheese).  That's another serious matter and addressed case-by-case -
that is, I'm not aware of anyone peddling an antivirus for Linux except
something that scans for Windows viruses; in email attachments, for
example.  The Linux worms that I've seen exploit network services that
should have been patched months ago.  Your best bet is to not run
services you don't need, and make sure that you keep your system updated
as vulnerabilities are uncovered.  Check the errata page for your
distribution for a start.

Unfortunately(?) security can eat as much time as you're able to give.

BTW, for Windows systems F-Secure really is excellent, IMO.  HTH,

Steve