complicated router question....

Bob George plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 22 May 2001 19:25:19 -0700

"kyle" <reddwarf91@yahoo.com> wrote:

> [...] (the only way
> i found it was to helo a smtp port that would tell me
> who i am... traceroute doesnt reaveal it. it just
> shows the 10.5.0.1) So how would i tell somebody to go
> to my site? tell them the ip address of the dsl modem?
> and then the port number i was running the server on?

Does that external address change? If not, have you tried running a web
server on the Linux box and accessing it at that address. If THAT works,
then you just need to direct inbound traffic on the appropriate ports to an
inside machine using NAT (kernel 2.4 makes it easy).

If it doesn't, I'm out of ideas. :)

- Bob