Consulting/Small business software

Armand plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 21 May 2001 18:28:38 -0700

There is another commercial accounting system that is cross platform and is
Linux friendly named AppGen which can be found at http://www.appgen.com/

According to VAR  Ben Duncan - Consultant Business NetworkSolutions, Inc
Ph: 601-355-2574        Fax: 601-355-2573       bns@meta3.net

... Appgens' Other products ARE full Featured, Double Entry ACCOUNTING
systesm. THEY are comparable to Great Pains, Mas90, Solomon, Platnium
Accounting, MCBA, RealWorld, Open Systems - well you get the Picture.
Their DATABASE engine is designed around the PICK system. The system is
File Based with attribute 0 being the key (which can have multiple
Parts). It is a "run time" environment with  they key parts being Menu
(For Master Menu's), Maint (for Screen applications), Selectem/Sortem
(For Selection, sorting critera - eg SQL), POSTEM (For Posting to
files), Printem (Obviously for reporting). The Programs themseleves are
DATABASE files with the RunTime calling them (All Programs are called
PDEF's - Program DEFinations). Their is no "Journaling" of post
transactions. Appgen uses a Unique method of putting in a "selected"
(Programmer Defined) attribute "exactly" which post step/which file/
which program/ what has been done.  When a post step blows up, simple
correct whatever went wrong and restart - It will pick right back up
where it left off.
Database development is done VIA wysiwyg. One does not have to set up
the Data Dictionary names first, but can let the devel generate it from
the names you have assigned within a PDEF. the DD names are USED only in
the Sort/Select procedures.
Development is done VIA a green screen method with the "cleint" side
handling the "pop up"/"pull down"/"Multi-Value Selection" being
converted to radio buttons,widgets and/or sliders. There is very little
overhead on running even over a dial up line. Only The client for their
GUI are "java" based - one for Linux one for Windows and one Native 32
Bit WinSLut GUI written by someone else (they prefer to get you to use
the Java one if at all possible). It will run on a WinSlut client
equally as well using any decent terminal emulation package.
MyBooks IS the same package as the $15K package. It is a full featured
accounting package with Accounts Receivable/Accounts Payable/Inventory
management/ORder Entry/Professional Billing/General Ledger/Purchase
Order Processing/Bank Reconillation - and other applications. The
Database Engine is LIMITED to only 5 users and can not be upgraded - not
a bad deal for $99. It is designed to compete with the Quick
Books/PeachTree mindset.
AppGen for Small Business (ASB). Again - the full featured accounting
package with some more Applications thrown in (PAyroll for instance). -
However I MUSt point out - AppGens' Payroll is really, really terrible -
they know it, and so does everone else (but hey - it is so BAD , it
works perfectly for the Trucking Industry - go figure). That is why I am
writing a new PR2 and HR package. The Databse can be upgraded in single
seats from the initial 5 user license. All this for $799
The high end package has all the same programs as the ASB along with 16
user license. It also comes with a "C" Library and some development
tools for interfacing "C" applications into Appgen, (The MyBooks and ASB
DO not have these features).
As a VAR I can write a custome application and simple copy it to
whatever platofrm one is running - be it MyBooks - ASB - or the Full
Featured one. I make no changes whatsoever to what I am doing - There IS
NO JAVA, WINE, or other emulation going on - It is 100% percent natural
code on the Linux Platform !!.
On the other hand, I resonable suspect that it is being emulated on the
MicroSlut(tm) Platforms - talk about a turnabout.
In summary - the MYBOOKS, ASB, And full blown package's are Native to
LINUX. There is no JAVA (except for the Cleints). They are a FULL
Featured Accounting Package and not a Quicken/MoneyDance/MS Money type
package. They proably have the Best OE/IV (that I have Worked on) stuff
out there, with the rest of the applications being very good overall
(except for payroll!).

HTH,

Armand