Email conversion Eudora 5.0 to ?

Kurt Granroth plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 20 May 2001 00:42:42 -0700

Alan Dayley wrote:
> The real trick was Eudora makes folders with subdirectories and
> KMail doesn't.  I still need to do some organizing around that
> problem.

That's not technically true.  KMail has "child folders" as
subdirectories -- they just have a very specific naming convention.
Say I want a folder called "Lists" and have all of my mailing list
mailboxes in it.  The automated way is just to create a bunch of child
folders using the KMail GUI.

But if you want to do it by hand, this is how :-)

% cd ~/Mail
% touch Lists
% mkdir .Lists.directory
% cd .Lists.directory
% touch plug-discuss KDE
% mkdir .KDE.directory
% cd .KDE.directory
% touch kde-devel kde-core-devel

Now fire up KMail.  You will see a directory structure like so:

  Lists
  +-- plug-discuss
  +-- KDE
      +-- kde-devel
      +-- kde-core-devel

You *can* put mail in Lists and KDE as they are mailboxes... but you
can just as easily think of them as subdir folders.

> I am writing this from KMail and I am now committed to Linux!

Very cool!
            KDE -- Conquer Your Desktop