Which BSD?

plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 15 May 2001 17:39:57 -0700

For a "first" BSD on an i386 platform, I would take a
look at FreeBSD.  FreeBSD was originally targeted at
the i386 platform so it has been optimized for (and offers
excellent performance on) that platform.

OpenBSD is geared towards security applications, such
as a firewall or a secure FTP/web server, although some
JLFs use OpenBSD for their desktop.  Note that the FTP
server or web server itself may not be secure, but at
least you're providing a reasonably solid foundation
for them (OS-level root exploits--ouch!)  NetBSD spawned
OpenBSD, so OpenBSD is multi-platform like NetBSD.

NetBSD runs on LOTS of platforms, and is geared towards
OS researchers and the like.  Got a toaster oven?  Run
NetBSD on it!

HTH,