virtual memory swap size

Gregory Mingus plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 14 May 2001 23:39:51 -0700

Thought I'd toss my opinion out...

I currently run a system with 45 users. It's a PIII-550 w/ 384MB RAM, RH 6.2
w/ a stripped kernel. This machine runs apache/PHP/MySQL, Qmail, POP3,
IMAP4, NetSaint, Snort, BIND, quite a few Cron jobs, and even Seti@home (at
nice -20). It runs great! I've already had over 6 months uptime on this box,
and only rebooted once so I could go from 128 to 384 megs. Even with the 128
megs, it ran fine. free -m shows a meg or two swap in use, but I think
that's normal after extended uptime and by no means is there any thrashing.

Only 140 megs are in use, 240 is disk cache. Absolutely great performance.
50,000+ hits/month from internal users without a wimper.

I'm not saying don't add more RAM, I'm just saying you probably won't need
it.

As for swap size, I chose 2x the RAM when I installed the system with 128
megs(256MB). As for the room on the drive swap takes? I don't think I'm
going to notice it missing from a 20gig drive. Especially since I don't do
mp3's or pr0n (At least not at work :)

That's my 2 bits.

-Greg-