virtual memory swap size

Blake Barnett plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 14 May 2001 18:34:34 -0700

Sounds as though you're talking about more than a casual webserver. I'd go
with 2x even if you don't think you'll ever hit swap.  *shrug*  There's
really no hard and fast rule for swap anymore.  Unless you're talking
massive SMP systems, then you at least need to conform to vendor suggestions
else you'll violate your support contract.  :)

* Blake

-----Original Message-----
From: Craig White [mailto:craigwhite@azapple.com]
Sent: Monday, May 14, 2001 6:16 PM
To: plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Subject: RE: virtual memory swap size

----
I dunno - swapping has it's moments.

Is server fudge factor one of those hard and fast rules that I was asking
about? It's a technical term I am unfamiliar with ;-)

I am amazed at the diversity of opinion here. It would seem that 2X is safe
but not necessarily going to be the fastest setting. My interest is because
I am going to set up what is likely to be my first server that will actually
be serving a fair amount of web pages and it would seem that I have to make
allowances for this thing to keep running - even if it goes slow by way of
VM. It has 128M RAM but I think that it's necessary to upgrade it to 512K -
RAM's cheap anyway. I don't mind giving away 1 gigabyte of memory over to VM
if it's gonna help to keep this thing alive.

Craig