virtual memory swap size

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 14 May 2001 18:16:23 -0700

----
I dunno - swapping has it's moments.

Is server fudge factor one of those hard and fast rules that I was asking
about? It's a technical term I am unfamiliar with ;-)

I am amazed at the diversity of opinion here. It would seem that 2X is safe
but not necessarily going to be the fastest setting. My interest is because
I am going to set up what is likely to be my first server that will actually
be serving a fair amount of web pages and it would seem that I have to make
allowances for this thing to keep running - even if it goes slow by way of
VM. It has 128M RAM but I think that it's necessary to upgrade it to 512K -
RAM's cheap anyway. I don't mind giving away 1 gigabyte of memory over to VM
if it's gonna help to keep this thing alive.

Craig