Unneeded Services

Rusty Carruth plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 14 May 2001 02:10:57 -0700 (MST)

> Am 14. May, 2001 schwäzte Michael  J. Schweppe so:
>
> > Do I need the following services?:
> >
> > apmd
> > netfs
>
> > nfslock
> > portmap
>
> kill, kill, kill!
>
> :)
>
> You almost certainly don't need those two. If you do, firewall them well.
>
> apmd is power management. Good thing. Shouldn't be any remote exploits to
> it.
>
> What's netfs? Is that related to nfs and portmap?

Networked filesystems.  At first blush, you'd think you wanna kill this.
Actually, I *think* its related to ANY network file system, including samba -
so you want to double think about that one.  (Read the Fine manual, if its
in there ;-)

Oh, wait.  We've got the source.  'less /etc/rc.d/init.d/netfs' tells me that
its for mounting remote file systems, like samba, netware, and NFS.
As CLIENT, not as server.

If you don't mount any remote samba, netware, or NFS filesystems then ya
don't kneed it (spelling bad, eh? Ah, well, don't kneed the dough!  ;-)
(Its late, sorry)

> Does anybody know a valid reason for portmap to even be installed? nis is

If you use NFS, you need portmap.  Else, you don't.  NUKE it!  ;-)