How to renew the ip address on a Linux machine?

Gontran plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 12 May 2001 14:29:48 -0700

* John Albee (guesswho911@home.com) wrote:
> THe best approach is to use a program like pump to maintain your IP address.  RedHat includes pump, but I am not sure as the included equivalent on SuSE.  Pump is available at freshmeat.net if you choose to use it.
>
> John Albee
>

> On Thu, 10 May 2001 15:26:07 -0700 (PDT)
> Sundar Narayanasamy <sundar4unix@excite.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > Just a simple question. I am connected to the DHCP server. How do you
> > exactly renew the IP address when I need to in Linux(SuSE 7.1)
> >
> > regards,
> > Sundar

Sundar,

Try
	% dhclient

No parameters needed. Just discovered it on my SuSE 6.2 laptop the other day
-- hadn't needed to use dhcp with it before.  I though at first that it was
SuSE specific, but turns out it's not.  man 8 dhclient.

Gontran