Free Scripting Engine

Kevin Buettner plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 11 May 2001 10:38:38 -0700

On May 10,  4:46pm, Trent Shipley wrote:

> Does anyone know of a good scripting engine under a Berkeley style license?
>
> It should be minimal.  Scalar variables, sequence, branch, and loop: I'm
> happy.
>
> It should get along with C at least as well as PERL.

Why not just use Perl?  Perl is dual licensed under the GPL and the
Artistic License.  Section 8 of the Artistic license makes Perl
particularly friendly for your purposes:

    8. Aggregation of this Package with a commercial distribution is always
    permitted provided that the use of this Package is embedded; that is,
    when no overt attempt is made to make this Package's interfaces visible
    to the end user of the commercial distribution.  Such use shall not be
    construed as a distribution of this Package.

See the file called "Artistic" in the Perl distribution for more
information.

If you don't want to use Perl, I know that Tcl used to be distributed
under the Berkeley license.

The license terms associated with Ruby may also be suitable for what
you have in mind.  See: http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/LICENSE.txt.

Kevin