just in case you missed it

sm plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 9 May 2001 11:12:40 -0700 (MST)

> Ah, but don't forget the Morris Worm, the recent Lion worm,
> sendmail-hack-of-the-day, bind-hack-of-the-day, ....
>
> Pot, Kettle.  Kettle, Pot.

This is not a PKB-syndrome issue.

sendmail-HotD and bind-HotD are application level issues.  If you have a
problem with them, you can turn them off, which is a possibility on
windows systems as well, but unlike the Microsoft Way, there are
*alternatives* that are considered more secure.  For mail, there is qmail
and postfix, and for DNS, there's djbdns.  Try and find me the Microsoft
alternative to the brain-deadness of Exchange, without escaping to OSS[1].

Another thing to keep in mind is that you get the same level of 'support'
from the Linux community no matter what server you're using.

As far as the OS security concers are, insert ~20 pages of why OSS is good
for security that we've all probably read 9,000,000 times before and that
I'm too lazy to repeat here.

[1]: Lotus, which has it's own issues, and really isn't The Microsoft
Way[TM] now, is it? :)

-sam