just incase you missed it

Tom Bradford plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 08 May 2001 15:13:43 -0700

Trent Shipley wrote:
> Would this be true of all *NIX operating systems.  That is, is a Solaris or
> SPARC as prone to exploits as a McLinux system?  What about the much touted
> OpenBSD or the pretty proprietary AIX?

I'd think that must true UNIX-based OSes are less prone because of the
maturity of their codebases, but they're definitely not immune.
Vigilance is really the best security when it comes to UNIX-based and
UNIX-like operating systems.

I have a friend that works for @Stake.  His only purpose there is to
find Windows exploits (specifically Windows NT and 2000).  He's a
Linux/UNIX guy, and very good a busting out *NIX boxes from his days
with the l0pth and cDC, and he's told me that Windows is generally much
more secure than most UNIX installs.  Maybe it has to do with the fact
that Windows doesn't expose much to the network other than NMB... Who
knows.

--
Tom Bradford --- The dbXML Project --- http://www.dbxml.org/
We store your XML data a hell of a lot better than /dev/null