just incase you missed it

Tom Bradford plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 08 May 2001 14:36:37 -0700

George Toft wrote:
> Yes it would.  Read the weekly highlights from Security Portal and be aware
> that there are about 3-4 times as many Linux exploits each week
> than Microsoft exploits.  Of course, this can be countered with
> the fact that a Linux distribution provides 20x (WAG) more software
> on the CD's than Microsoft does with Windows.

Yeah, but... That 20x more software isn't predominately stuff that is
exposed via the network, such as all of the stuff that inetd provides,
sendmail, etc...  So you're really comparing apples and oranges.  The
bulk of a Linux distro is stuff that wouldn't even qualify for root
exploits.  There aren't any Notepad.exe exploits that I know of, and the
class of most of that bulk would fall into that same category.  So
obviously Linux's network exposure is relatively quite a bit more prone
to exploit than Microsoft's.

--
Tom Bradford --- The dbXML Project --- http://www.dbxml.org/
We store your XML data a hell of a lot better than /dev/null