Linux Application Development

Tom Bradford plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 07 May 2001 10:46:12 -0700

"David A. Sinck" wrote:
> I will say that I don't much care for languages that don't have an
> 'eval' in them.  I want that string to be *code* and I want it now!
>
> Lisp & friends, Perl, Python, Javascript all qualify.  Probably lots
> of others.  Typical mortals like myself don't need eval often, but
> when you do, oh is it good to have it.

It's hard to build that functionality into systems programming languages
because of their compiled nature.  In scripting languages, it's easy
because the interpreter is already being used and is at your disposal,
but in languages like Java and C, doesn't quite work.  I have added
Rhino (Netscape JavaScript) and Jython (The Java Python implementation)
support to dbXML, so people who want to use scripting languages in the
context of the server won't find themselves without options.

--
Tom Bradford --- The dbXML Project --- http://www.dbxml.org/
We store your XML data a hell of a lot better than /dev/null