Sun Box will not auto boot

Tim Fadden plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 06 May 2001 08:31:22 +0000

David Demland wrote:

> I have my Sparc 5 up and running now. I have a Debian distro of Linux
> running on it. I want to make it a firewall but I have one problem. When I
> boot it up there is a message about a bad argument from the boot prom. If I
> boot it from the boot floppy I made it boots. This means that I must type
> the command "boot floppy" every time I boot up. If I do not type the command
> it can not boot. What to I have to do to boot from the hard drive
> automatically at boot up time?
>
> David

From the ok prompt type in:

ok printenv

you will see a vairiable called boot-device
normally it should be set to disk with the command

ok setenv boot-device disk

depending on what scsi id your boot disk is.

you can also see/set these vairiables with the os up with the command

eeprom

the syntax for setting vairables is

# eeprom boot-device=disk

Give me specifics about your boot device, and I can set you up.