Linux Application Development

Carl Parrish plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 06 May 2001 18:50:12 -0700

Tom Bradford wrote:

> Linux wrote:
>
>> I am wondering about a development language that would allow me to create
>> something like a Visual Basic form so I can develop applications on Linux
>> using MySql for the data server.  I think I like PHP and Python looks doable
>> however it is hard to tell if I can create GUI front-end.  I know it is
>> possible to do application development in PERL however I find Perl to be an
>> ugly language (sorry).  I don't think Java is the answer either.
>

> Why isn't Java the answer?  JDBC drivers are available for just about
> every available relational database, including MySQL.  JBuilder 4 has an
> excellent form design tool, and  the Foundation is free (beer) and is
> available for several platforms (Linux, Solaris, Windows).  The Java 2
> SDK 1.3 for Linux is now very stable.

Uhmmm because Java sucks. Don't get me wrong its pretty much been my
bread and butter for the last year or so. But I would never suggest it
for the uses that were brought up. First while Java's performance has in
fact been getting better and better The GUI (read awt / swing). Is still
very very slow and bloated. The overhead you have to deal with to get
JDBC up and running is simply too huge for a simple Client / Server
application. Now if the app was enterprise wide, Needed to be web /
wirless enable, or needed a big team to work on it. I might suggest
Java. Otherwise Glade, python, or ruby are all better answers.

Carl Parrish

P.S I'm currently in love with ruby and think its worth learning.