KDE 2.1.1 first impressions

Kurt Granroth plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 6 May 2001 01:41:36 -0700

Don Livingston wrote:
> I just installed Mandrake 8.0.  So far I like what I see in the new KDE.
> Kmail is much improved, especially with the better support for foreign
> character sets.  (In my case I need KOI8-R for Russian.)  Konqueror is
> excellent so far.  The media player, noatun, crashes on me constantly,
> though, when I try to play .wav files.  The older version didn't.  Wonder
> what's up with that?

Yeah, noatun (and the aRts layer in general) are *VERY* powerful and
super-cool... but I really wish that the developers would spend more
time getting it stable rather then putting on yet another feature of
the week.  I get quite a bit of email on both sides of noatun ("It's
the greatest thing since sliced bread" and "It crashes on startup").
This is one issue, though, where I won't be doing any fixing myself...
I don't even have a soundcard installed on any of my Linux systems
these days :-/
            KDE -- Conquer Your Desktop