Linux Application Development

Kurt Granroth plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 6 May 2001 01:38:06 -0700

Linux wrote:
> I am wondering about a development language that would allow me to
> create something like a Visual Basic form so I can develop
> applications on Linux using MySql for the data server.  I think I
> like PHP and Python looks doable however it is hard to tell if I can
> create GUI front-end.  I know it is possible to do application
> development in PERL however I find Perl to be an ugly language
> (sorry).  I don't think Java is the answer either.

Don't know how cutting edge you want to get.  KDE 2.2(alpha) has
support for database programming for *some* databases (MySQL and
Postgresql at least, I think).

You could also just use a "normal" KDE2 application with the C or C++
MySQL bindings that I'm sure exist somewhere.  KDevelop has a great
widget editor that makes creating forms as easy as Visual Basic.

If you are a Python fan, well, there are some pretty good KDE bindings
for Python that would allow you to use the Python database stuff while
still having the KDE look-n-feel and usability.
            KDE -- Conquer Your Desktop