Interesting news...

Linux plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 3 May 2001 13:25:31 -0700

From: Craig White <craigwhite@azapple.com>
To: plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Subject: Re: Interesting news...
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 22:03:02 -0700

<Snip>

>That's BS - I have bought at least 12 boxes without OS. I put Linux on
them.
>I don't like the idea of having MS serving me with a subpoena which forces
me
>to justify what I am doing with the boxes. I personally feel that it does a
>disservice to the open source market to allow people to use software
without
>suitable license. I shouldn't have to prove that to Microsoft or any one
else.

>Craig

I do not believe the 5th amendment will allow for a search and I don't know
how a judge could issue a subpoena based on the fact that you bought a
computer w/o an o/s.

Lets look at this.  You are subpoenaed to court because you bought a
computer w/o an o/s.  You are not compelled to testify.  So M$ says he
bought a computer w/o an o/s.  There is no evidence in this of any wrong
doing.  The judge says "SO WHAT!" Now the State Attorney General brings a
class action suit against M$ for all this badgering.

You can bet M$ will move more cautiously.

What stops you from buying a bunch of components over several days or weeks
that together comprise of numerous computers?

What about the consultant that buys components that collectively would make
up several complete computers to only use these components to support a
number of clients?

Keith