Interesting news...

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 2 May 2001 09:48:00 -0700

** Microsoft Trolls For Informants

Microsoft is coming under fire for a new program that promises
prizes to computer-system builders who report customers ordering
PCs without a pre-installed operating system.

Microsoft unveiled the program in an E-mail apparently sent last
week to system builders on the West Coast. The E-mail explains
that the program is meant to insure compliance with
software-licensing agreements. "Many organizations that are
sending out bids believe that because they have enrolled in a
Microsoft volume-license program... that operating systems for
newly-acquired PCs are automatically enrolled," it reads. "There
is no volume-licensing program at Microsoft that covers operating
systems for new PCs."

As such, Microsoft asks that the builders turn over suspect bids
to them. If the bids are found to be due to a site-license
violation, informants will earn one point for each PC specified
on the bid. The points can then be redeemed for prizes--five
Microsoft game titles for 250 points; a Fossil "Big Tic" watch
for 500; and a "Fast Cook & Grill Combo and Travel Chair" for
1,000.

Critics of Microsoft fear that the program will be used to track
down or intimidate users of operating systems like Linux, who
might order the machines "naked" in order to install the software
themselves. "I think an argument exists that gathering
information to [potentially] request an audit on businesses that
choose not to buy Windows creates a chilling effect," wrote one
poster on open-source advocacy site Slashdot.org.

"I think it's pretty sleazy," says Andrew Grygus, owner of
Automation Access, a systems integrator for small businesses.
Grygus, who received the E-mail last Wednesday, says "Microsoft
doesn't seem to have a lot of respect for people. He adds that
Microsoft is being "heavy handed" in its efforts to enforce
licenses, but he doesn't think the company is actually hunting
Linux users. "I'm sure they'll be happy to get those names,
though." Grygus says he won't participate in the program. "I have
no inclination to turn in my customers."

Representatives of Microsoft were unavailable for comment.
- David M. Ewalt

For related stories, read:
IT Managers Are More Open Minded
http://update.informationweek.com/cgi-bin4/flo?y=eDaD0BcwYR0V20NSw0Ap

Linux Comes Alive
http://update.informationweek.com/cgi-bin4/flo?y=eDaD0BcwYR0V20NSx0Aq

Ramping Up The Linux Learning Curve
http://update.informationweek.com/cgi-bin4/flo?y=eDaD0BcwYR0V20NSy0Ar

- Craig White - PO Box 8634 - Scottsdale, Arizona - 85252
- e-mail address ................ - CraigWhite@AzApple.com
- world wide web address ........ - http://www.AzApple.com
- e-mail my pager address ....... - 6023779752@airtouch.net
- cellular phone ................ - (602) 377-9752
- voice/facsimile ............... - (480) 945-8445