Which Linux Distro?

Blake Barnett plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 1 May 2001 15:02:28 -0700

If you're running unstable(woody) or testing(sid) you get bleeding edge
tools.  Both releases are very stable (with some restraint on updating like
mad).  There are very few software packages that are not in their apt
sources, and the maintainers are very approachable for fixes and requests
(my experiences anyway.)  I've never had a problem with apt that I couldn't
fix with a few dpkg commands.  RPM on the other hand, well... I've had
nightmares about boxes running redhat. And RedHat was my distro of choice
before debian, I know RedHat inside and out but have had so many more
problems with redhat in the past than debian.

apt-get has it's drawbacks, updating specific packages, and rolling back
updates are a couple of them.  I'm thinking that your own custom apt source
is the best solution to this.

But over-all I've never found a more maintainable and admin-friendly
distrobution.  I would not recommend it to newbies.  I've heard Libranet has
a great and more userfriendly distro based on debian.  Progeny is near
release as well, it is also based on Debian and has quite a few good things
going for it.

If you absolutely MUST use RPMs, go with Mandrake.  If you just want to use
software from RPMs, use debian and learn to use alien and dpkg.  Chances are
that you'll never need something that's not in apt.

Blake Barnett
Sr. Unix Administrator
DevelopOnline.com