Good ISP

Kimi A. Adams plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 31 May 2001 12:21:09 -0600

For some good clarifications, let's break it down.  DSL is provided by only
a few "backbone" companies.  Most of those are in some way attached to
providers we all are familiar with.  My research when Wired Global's
breakdown happened is that there is lot's of problems with Covad.  There is
only one other good provider in the area (as is my understanding) that has
it's OWN backbone.  One of the major resellers is DigiZip.

There may be some local loop stuff that Qwest provides, but it's just the
"last mile" stuff.  The service is actually (with any DSL) is from the
provider.  In any case, Qwest is a CLEC and a LEC as it happens.  They
provide (in our area) lot's of stuff for lot's of reasons.  Ma Bell was
bought out several layers up and then handed off to U. S. West who sold to
Qwest.  So, providing certain services in some areas of the city is what
happens.  DigiZip's backbone company has their own network and does not go
through Qwest to my knowledge.

Hope this clarifies some issues with the previous emails being passed out.

Kimi Adams
Unity Wave