sigh

Kevin Brown plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 30 Apr 2001 21:56:42 -0700

I'm trying, I swear, but everytime I think I'm figuring out something it gets
changed and breaks... (either by me or someone else)

I upgraded my laptop today with RH7.1 from 6.2.  I did the upgrade by wiping out
the partitions and rebuilding.  I wiped them out because I needed to reorg the
partitions to add more swap space since I upgraded my laptop from 32MB to 80MB
RAM in my poor little P150.

After doing a custom install and booting for the first time I saw an error
regarding unable to give IRQs for my four pcmcia slots and the suggestion of
adding pci=biospci to the boot parameters.  So, I added append="pci=biospci" to
the lilo.conf file, ran lilo and rebooted.  The system came up without that
error, but still won't recognize any cards being inserted into the slots.  These
cards were recognized by RH6.2 with the 2.2.14 and 2.2.16 kernels (and the
accompanying pcmcia packages).  I did a search for the error on both google and
altavista and the responses were less than helpful.  One suggested having the
bios give the video card an IRQ, but I can't in my BIOS.  Most of the other hits
were only questions asking about this same error, but no solutions seemed to be
in the archives for those mailing lists.  A few talked about this problem
showing up when the kernel went from 2.4test to 2.4.0 (I'm currently running
2.4.2 that comes with RH7.1)

The start of the error is:
	PCI: No IRQ known for interrupt pin

The two cards I tried in it were:
	Xircom PS-CE2-10 (standard pcmcia) and
	Intel EEPro/100 Mobile Adapter (Cardbus)

I'm hoping others who have been using the 2.4.x kernels have seen this error and
might have a possible solution, or pointers for more information.