Need suggestions on new local ISP

Craig White craigwhite@azapple.com
Fri, 30 Mar 2001 18:37:59 -0700

----
This is unfortunately very typical of shared subnets (cable modems, wireless
broadband & cheap dsl) - people using Windows, broadcasting Netbios and the
provider doesn't squash the broadcasts. That's why the scum suckers that
sell 'anti-virus' products have leeched onto selling firewall products as
well.

At least Windows NT & 2K provide some means to filter this from leaking out
on the public.

Of course, if you use linux and run samba - if you're not careful, you
broadcast the same Netbios.

Friends don't let friends send vcf's now has a corollary - friends don't let
friends broadcast Netbios on public IP's.

Craig