Common install problem

plug@arcticmail.com plug@arcticmail.com
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 22:28:30 -0700

I'm not sure if "low level format" really means
what it used to mean.  I think for modern IDE
drives one CAN get a special "low level format"
utility from the manufacturer for a particular drive
that actually performs a real low level format.  As
far as bad sector lists (why don't they put bad sector
list stickers on modern drives?  :) ) and spare sectors
and cylinders and heads and whatnot, I'm pretty
sure that all of that is now totally hidden from
the end user's prying eyes by the IDE hardware.

I suspect that modern "low level format" utilities
simply write NULLs (ASCII 0x00) to every sector
on the drive.  Hmmm.  I wonder if drives even
still *HAVE* "sectors"...  :)

I've encountered "strange problems" when installing
Linux, *BSD and M$-*.  Rather than do a so-called
"low level format" of the drive, I simply boot
FreeBSD's "fixit" system or Tom's rtbt floppy
and do something along the lines of

    DO NOT DO THIS    DO NOT DO THIS    DO THIS YOU DO NOT
    vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

### dd bs=512 count=100 if=/dev/zero of=/dev/[sh]d[abcdef]

    DO NOT DO THIS    DO NOT DO THIS    DO THIS YOU DO NOT

This overwrites the stuff at the beginning of the
disk (MBR, partition table, yada yada yada) with
0x00 and this usually clears up the "strange problems."
And it's REALLY fast!