Port forward problem

David Demland ddemland@cadtel.com
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 10:13:53 -0700

Here is my problem:

   DB Server         Firewall         AppServer
   ----------        ---------        ---------
   |        |        |       |        |       |
   |        |  <-->  |       |  <-->  |       |
   |        |        |       |        |       |
   |        |        |       |        |       |
   ----------        ---------        ---------

   192.168.1.241                      63.88.255.35

The Database server has an IP 63.88.255.36 from the outside world.

The firewall is configured like:

DBAccessPorts=1023:65535
DBServerIP=192.168.1.241
AppServerIP=63.88.255.35
DBServerExternalIP=63.88.255.36

$IPCHAINS -A input -j ACCEPT -i $OUTERIF -p TCP -s $AppServerIP
$DBAccessPorts -d $DBServerIP
$IPCHAINS -A input -j ACCEPT -i $OUTERIF -p UDP -s $AppServerIP
$DBAccessPorts -d $DBServerIP
$IPCHAINS -A input -j ACCEPT -i $OUTERIF -p ICMP -s $AppServerIP
$DBAccessPorts -d $DBServerIP

$IPCHAINS -A input -j ACCEPT -i $INTERNALIF -p TCP -d $AppServerIP -s
$DBServerIP
$IPCHAINS -A input -j ACCEPT -i $INTERNALIF -p UDP -d $AppServerIP -s
$DBServerIP
$IPCHAINS -A input -j ACCEPT -i $INTERNALIF -p ICMP -d $AppServerIP -s
$DBServerIP

$IPCHAINS -A forward -i $OUTERIF -s $DBServerExternalIP -d $DBServerIP

I am having problems with the forwarding. I need to forward requests from
the AppServer to the DB Server on the inside of the firewall. With the
exception of the forwarding the rest of the script works. I can pass
requests from inside the firewall to the AppServer and these are answered.
The problem is someone accessing the AppServer from the outside world.
Requests can not pass from the AppServer to the database server through the
firewall. What do I have to do to get this to work?

Thank You,

David Demland
Qa/Process Manager
CADTEL Systems, Inc.